03 May Meetings with Purpose – CalSAE
Leaders who make it to the top rung of their organizational ladders generally have to step out of their own organizations to continue their learning. Often the most valuable learning comes from peer relationships with similar executives. The California Society of Association Executives, CalSAE offers this opportunity to NFP Association Executives by bringing together leadership members of the association profession to meet their personal and professional needs.
CalSAE offers an experienced peer network, new ideas and an association that takes pride in personally ensuring the success of each member. It specializes in excellent learning experiences and developing relationships that can last a career. Events are offered throughout the state to aid members in networking, learning, gaining resources and raising the bar for the association industry for all.
Jim Anderson, CAE President & CEO, and Gina Sutherland Director of Education & Events shared the benefits of the CalSAE. Jim devotes considerable time assuring that “CalSAE delivers excellent and diverse learning experiences with a tremendous amount of ideas, resources and trends for association leaders.” He says the organization runs many events targeted to professional development. The meetings offer learning but equally as important, “We also facilitate successful business relationships with industry partners who have shown a commitment to the association market.” The Society offers the unique opportunity network and learn from peers that individuals cannot get elsewhere.
Some of the events include:
- AMC Retreat – An annual two-day retreat for the owners/principals of association management companies to discuss challenges and share ideas.
- CEO Bootcamp – Crafted specifically for early-career CEOs (less than 5 years in the role) and those ready to be a CEO, this 1 ½ day program explores three key aspects of the executive role: human relationships, operations/administration and the “unexpected” challenges and responsibilities.
- Insights Executive Conference – specifically for advanced level CEOs. It is a limited attendance (28 attendees), 1.5 day program with the highest level of content prepared and delivered by a professional facilitator in an intensive and interactive environment.
- eLearning/Webinars – One hour sessions offered 1-2 times each month (produced as a collaboration of state and local SAEs across the US). On-demand programs also available on a full range of association management topics.
- ELEVATE Annual Conference – where California’s association professionals come together for three days of exploring “how to” and “what if…” thinking. The conference is designed with education topics to appeal to all CalSAE members.
- LevelUp Morning Education & Luncheons – Get to the next level in your career utilizing what you learn. These local programs are in several formats: often lunch with a keynote speaker or a morning education program followed by a networking lunch. The programs are diverse and designed to focus on various elements of association management and leadership – typically most appropriate for managers, directors and newer C-Suite executives.
- Professional Forums – Local programs focused on social learning while being facilitated by your peers in a relaxed small group setting.
- Summits – Full-day events with multi-track education devoted to three association-specific topic areas: operations & administration, membership & marketing, events & education.